[AiB] is a platform devoted to contemporary architectural practice with a critical edge.
[AiB] provides professional services in Architecture, Urban Design and Landscape Design.
[AiB] specializes in Design and Coordination; carrying out the whole array of architectural work from conceptualization to construction.
[AiB] and its members actively pursue Cultural and Academic endeavors.
[AiB] is a ten-year-old firm based in Barcelona with parallel operations in Los Angeles and Miami. Over the years we have succeeded both professionally and academically in the practice of Advanced Architectural Design.
In ten years we have developed over 250 projects and proposals, mostly for public clients. Our extensive professional experience ranges from public facilities, to housing, town planning and landscape.
This body of work includes:
- Major Hospital in BCN (pending construction)
- Socially-inclusive Penitentiary in Tarragona (built)
- Marine Zoo of Barcelona (award-winning design)
- New Urban Center of Vilanova (award-winning design)
- Health Centre in Tarragona (award-winning design)
- Maternity ward intervention in BCN (built)
- Market and Housing in Vilassar (award-winning design)
- Private and Social Housing (7 built projects)
- Seafront Promenade in Vilanova (award-winning design)
- Public space and infrastructure in Gurb (built)
- Urban Design (several projects approved)
- Courthouse in Falset (built)
- Chapel in Andorra (built)
- Heritage intervention on a Church in Barcelona (built)
[AiB]'s work has received numerous awards and has been published on websites, in books, and specialized magazines both local and international, including Quaderns, Arquitectura Viva, and Abstract.
[AiB] has the know-how, the team of professionals, the technical means, and the external consultants needed to successfully complete any project it takes on.
[AiB] incorporates Ecological Design insourcing and research as added-value into its practice.
[AiB] has developed an extensive network of consultants and collaborators that allow the office to successfully tackle most design and construction jobs, including those very complex in nature (e.g. a 70.000 sqm innovative and socially-inclusive Penitentiary, a 55.000 sqm major Hospital in the centre of BCN, etc).
[AiB] is currently completing the ISO 9001 and UNE 150301 - EcoDesign certification process.
Areas of specialization:
Over the course of our professional experience we have come to acquire substantial experience in the following fields: Health-related Facilities, Educational and Cultural Facilities, Housing, Public Space Design, Urban Design, and Town Planning.
However, we do not subscribe to conventional program-oriented specialization as we believe it tends to compartimentalize design practices and undermine architecture's synthetic role, effectively blocking the ability to generate new responses to new challenges. As a progressive and effective architectural practice we specialize in Advanced Architectural Design, having quality and innovation and as our main goals.
Roger Paez i Blanch
- Architect (ETSAB, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, 1998).
- Master of Science in Avanced Arquitectural Design (M.S. AAD, G.S.A.P.P., Columbia University, New York, 2000).
- Member of the COAC (Architects' Union) since 2000.
- Professor of Architectural Design since 1998.
- Member of the Editorioal Board for "Quaderns d'Arquitectura i Urbanisme", 2003-2005.
- Co-founder of AiB arquitectes with Juan Azulay, 2000.
- Sole proprietor of "AiB estudi d'arquitectes, S.L.", 2006.
- 29 years of professional experience (1991) in various arquitecture studios (Alison+Peter Smithson, Enric Miralles i Moya, among others), 20 of which have been as head of AiB arquitectes.
Iñigo Solano i Paez
- Information Systems Engineer. (Enginyeria Tècnica en Informàtica de Sistemes, UOC).
- Architecture coursework (ETSALS, Universitat Ramon Llull 1997-2003).
- 21 years of experience (1999) as Webmaster, network administrador and IT technician in various professional offices of architecture and other fields.
- 20 years of experience with AiB (2000).
Angela Kay Bunning
- M.A. in Comparative Literature and Literary Translation (Universitat Pompeu Fabra, 2011).
- Degree in Literary Theory and Comparative Literature (Universitat de Barcelona, 2005).
- B.A., Columbia University, New York, 2000.
- 17 years of experience working with AiB arquitectes in accounting, administrative tasks, translations and editorial groundwork. (2003).
Architects and other professionals:
- David Baró i Bernaus (UPC 2000 i ETSALS 2016). Collaborator 2001-2012
- Nicolás Aparicio Chiprout (ETSAV 2005). Collaborator 2006-2012
- Montse Godoy i Guanche. Collaborator 2007-2013
- Gerard Cuartero-Betriu, arquitecte (ETSALS, 2005). Collaborator 2004-2009.
- Estibaliz Gutiérrez Herrero (ETSAUN 2007). Collaborator 2009-2012
- Jakob Hense, arquitecte (Architectural Association, Londres 2000). Collaborator 2001-2003.
- Luis Arredondo (ESTAB 2007). Collaborator 2009-2012
- Juan Carlos Castro, arquitecte (ETSAV, 2001). Collaborator 2001, 2004-2005.
- Jordi Pascual i Prat, arquitecte (ETSAV, 2004). Collaborator 2006-2008.
- Marta Mulà i Sicart (ESTAB 1999). Collaborator 2010-2012
- Dominica Infante Llorca, arquitecte tècnic (Alacant, 2001). Collaborator 2003-2004.
- Enric Verdú i Mas, arquitecte (ETSAV, 2007). Collaborator 2006-2007.
- Sandra Vergara Gastán, arquitecte (ETSAV, 2009). Collaborator 2005-2006 i 2009.
- Cristian Vivas Millaruelo, arquitecte (ETSAV, 2004). Collaborator 2006.
Students and interns:
- Cristina Janés Lloret (ETSALS), 2016.
- Laura Gorina Herráiz (ETSALS), 2016.
- Marc-Romà Trepat i Pérez (ETSALS), 2014-2015.
- Anna Araguz i Ciria (ETSALS), 2014-2015.
- Anna Casadevall i Sayeras (ETSALS), 2013-2014.
- Alba Fernández Rella (IE University), 2013-2014.
- David Onieva Alonso (ETSAB), 2013.
- Jana Chamseddine (Lebanese American University), 2012.
- Rubén Tapias Cañas (ETSALS), 2012.
- Robert Torralba i Conill (ETSALS), 2012-2013.
- Adriana Villaverde i Corominas (ETSALS), 2012-2013.
- Jordi Brunés i Gutiérrez (ETSALS), 2006.
- Malte Schultz-Gambard (ETH, Zurich (Suïssa)), 2006.
- Eduard Dalmau i González (ETSAB), 2006-2007 i 2009.
- Arne Schultz-Gambard (TUW, Wien (Àustria)), 2007.
- Simone Cattoni (Università della Svizzera Italiana, Accademia di Architettura di Mendrisio, Ticino (Suïssa)), 2007.
- Gerard Garcia Pich (ETSALS), 2008-2009.
Ollie Bayliss, Giuseppe Caprara, Céline Condorelli, Aida Esteban, Tobias Friedrich, Lourdes Gaspart, Elvira Jiménez, Eric Palaudàries, Martín di Renzo, Johanna Schweer, Bernat Torrens, Lia Vilahur Chiaraviglio, Dan Welham.